UNITED METHODIST MEN (UMM)
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH of BELLA VISTA
Adopted July 9, 2014
Amended December 9, 2015
Article I. ORDER OF BUSINESS
The Order of Business for the UMM shall be conducted in an orderly and business-like manner according to the Constitution and By-Laws. Any question not covered by the By-Laws shall be decided in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order. Any questions not covered by the By-Laws shall be referred to the Executive Committee who will bring back to the full body a recommendation for addressing the specific concern.
Article II. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- President: The President shall be the presiding officer of the UMM and shall preside at the annual, regular and special meetings of the UMM and the Executive Committee. He shall have general oversight over the work of the UMM. He shall be an ex-officio member of all committees and task forces, except the Nominating Committee. He shall be familiar with the work of the General Commission on United Methodist Men and that of the District President and Conference President. He shall be a member of the Church Council. The President is elected for a two year term.
- Vice President: The Vice President shall assist the President, accept assignments made to him, preside in the absence of the President and assume full responsibility for that office. He shall succeed the President and is elected for a two year term.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes and all records of all meetings of the UMM and the Executive Committee. The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping records suitable for historical filing.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall collect and disburse all funds. Adequate records shall be kept and a report made at all meetings of the UMM and the Executive Committee. Requests for disbursements of funds not approved in the budget shall be made by the President, Executive Committee or the UMM.
Article III. COMMITTEES
- Executive Committee: The Executive Committee makes plans for the UMM and evaluates the same. It transacts interim business. However, all transactions must be approved by the UMM at its next regular or special meeting. The Executive Committee shall meet at the call of the President or as often as it deems necessary. Members of the Executive Committee are defined in Article VIII of the Constitution.
- Nominating Committee: The Nominating Committee shall be secured by the Past President in time to recommend a slate for the annual meeting. The Nominating Committee shall consist of at least three members. The Nominating Committee shall present its slate of officers at the annual meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor.
- Activity Committees: The Activity Committees are Pancake Breakfast, Ladies Night Out and Golf.
- Additional Committees: The President shall appoint additional committees in order to carry out the purpose and objectives of the UMM.
Article IV. MEETINGS
- Regular meetings of the UMM shall be held on the second Wednesday of the month at a place and time to be determined by the President. When the second Wednesday conflicts with other Church events the meeting may be moved to a more appropriate date.
- The meeting held during the month of November shall be designated as the annual meeting and the election of officers shall take place every other year beginning in 2016. Officers elected at this meeting shall assume their duties on the first day of the next calendar year.
- Additional meetings of the UMM may be called by the President or in his absence the Vice President, or by a majority vote of the Executive Committee.
Article V. VOTING PROCEDURES
Voting on all matters at all regular and special meetings shall be by voice vote, show of hands or by standing unless otherwise ordered by vote of the UMM. The election of officers may be by secret ballot if requested by the Executive Committee or requested by vote from the members present.
Article VI. VACANCY
When a vacancy occurs in an office or a committee, the vacancy shall be filled by the President in consultation with the Executive Committee.
Article VII. BY-LAWS
The By-Laws may be amended at any annual, regular, or special meeting of the UMM by a two-thirds majority of all the members present and voting, provided the notice of such proposed amendment or amendments have been given 10 days in advance of the meeting.
Article VIII. ADOPTION
These By-Laws were adopted in compliance with Article XIII of the Constitution on July 9, 2014 and are effective as of that date.